Cedars of Lebanon State Park, located in Wilson County, Tennessee, offers a picturesque and diverse landscape perfect for horseback riding enthusiasts. With over 900 acres of rolling hills, scenic trails, and over 30 miles of equestrian trails, it is no wonder that this park is a top choice for horse trail riders. In this article, we will explore some of the best horse trails at Cedars of Lebanon State Park.
1. Hidden Springs Loop Trail: This is a 6.5-mile moderate trail that winds through beautiful cedar and hardwood forests, offering riders a peaceful and serene experience. Along the way, riders will also encounter a small stream and several hidden springs, making it a refreshing ride on hot summer days. The trail is well-marked and well-maintained, ensuring a smooth and enjoyable ride for both new and experienced riders.
2. Cedar Forest Loop Trail: As the name suggests, this 5-mile loop trail takes riders through the heart of the park's iconic cedar forest. The trail offers breathtaking views of massive cedar trees, providing a truly unique horse riding experience. This trail is relatively flat with minimal elevation changes, making it suitable for riders of all skill levels.
3. Backbone Loop Trail: For those seeking a more challenging and adventurous ride, the Backbone Loop Trail is the perfect choice. Stretching over 10 miles, this trail offers a mix of open fields, woodlands, and moderate to steep climbs. Riders will be rewarded with stunning views of the park's rugged terrain and wildflowers in season. The trail is best-suited for experienced riders and their sure-footed horses.
4. Fiddlers' Fork Loop Trail: This 3-mile loop trail is a favorite among equestrians due to its scenic beauty and tranquil surroundings. The trail meanders through a thick forest of hickory trees and offers glimpses of a seasonal creek along the way. The relatively flat terrain and short distance make it ideal for riders looking for a leisurely ride or those shorter on time.
5. Sugar Mill Loop Trail: This 7-mile trail is a must-ride for horse enthusiasts who enjoy history and natural beauty. Named after the park's historic sugar mill ruins, the trail takes riders through dense cedar forests and past fascinating remnants of the park's past. The trail is moderately challenging, with some uphill sections, but the landmarks along the way make it a captivating and enjoyable ride.
Before embarking on any horseback riding adventure at Cedars of Lebanon State Park, it is essential to ensure that your horse is well-prepared for the trail. Bring plenty of water and snacks, and always check the weather conditions before your ride. It is also advisable to ride with a companion and let someone know your planned route and estimated return time.
Cedars of Lebanon State Park offers horse lovers a wide range of scenic, well-maintained trails catering to different riding preferences and skill levels. Whether you crave the tranquility of a cedar forest, the thrill of steep climbs, or the joy of riding in historical surroundings, you will find it all at Cedars of Lebanon State Park. So saddle up, grab your horse, and explore the best horse trails this exceptional park has to offer. Happy riding!