Nestled in the scenic beauty of the Pennsylvania Wilds, Hyner Run State Park is a hidden gem for horse enthusiasts. With its well-maintained trails and picturesque surroundings, the park offers a unique and unforgettable experience. Whether you are a seasoned rider or a beginner equestrian, here are the best horse trails at Hyner Run State Park.
1. Hyner View Trail: The crown jewel of the park, the Hyner View Trail, is a must-ride for horse owners. This challenging 10-mile loop will take you to breathtaking vistas overlooking the Susquehanna River and the rugged beauty of the surrounding mountains. As you traverse the trail, you will come across an array of wildflowers, diverse bird species, and perhaps even spot some white-tailed deer or black bears. Though the trail is steep in parts, the payoff is well worth the effort.
2. Sugarloaf Trail: If you are looking for a shorter ride, the Sugarloaf Trail is perfect. This accessible 3-mile loop allows riders to explore the forested region surrounding the park. As you ride through the peaceful woodland, you will be treated to beautiful streams and lush vegetation. This trail is ideal for riders of all experience levels and offers a gentle terrain for a relaxing journey.
3. Deadman Trail: For those seeking an adrenaline rush, the Deadman Trail is an adventurous choice. This 16-mile loop is a bit more challenging, featuring steep inclines and rocky terrains. As you ride through the diverse landscapes, be prepared for stunning views of Hyner View and the West Branch of the Susquehanna River. This trail may require some confident riding skills, but the thrill of conquering its difficulties is truly rewarding.
4. Lower Hyner Trail: Another popular trail at the park is the Lower Hyner Trail. This 8-mile ride is relatively flat and takes you along the peaceful Hyner Run Creek. The soothing sound of the running water and the shade provided by the surrounding trees make for a serene and enjoyable experience. You may also come across local anglers trying their luck in catching trout, adding to the charm of this trail.
5. CCC Trail: The shortest trail on offer, the CCC Trail is approximately 1 mile long. However, don't let its length fool you. This steep and narrow trail provides a thrilling ride through the forest, making it perfect for riders who prefer a quick and intense adventure. Just be sure to master your balance and control as you navigate the twists and turns of this exciting trail.
Regardless of which trail you choose, remember to always prioritize safety. While Hyner Run State Park is open year-round for horseback riding, it is advisable to check the current trail conditions, especially during inclement weather. Additionally, make sure to pack essential safety gear, water, and snacks for both you and your horse.
So, saddle up and get ready to explore the natural beauty of Hyner Run State Park. With its incredible trails and stunning vistas, riding through this wilderness will leave you with memories that will last a lifetime.