Mills Norrie State Park, located in Staatsburg, New York, is a haven for outdoor enthusiasts and nature lovers. Spanning over 1,000 acres along the eastern shoreline of the Hudson River, this state park offers a wide range of activities, including hiking, picnicking, birdwatching, and horseback riding. For equestrians seeking a memorable adventure on horseback, Mills Norrie State Park boasts some of the best horse trails in the region.
1. Mills Mansion Loop Trail: The Mills Mansion Loop Trail, approximately 3 miles long, provides riders with stunning views of the Hudson River and the breathtaking Mills Mansion, also known as Staatsburgh State Historic Site. This trail is well-maintained and boasts beautiful scenery throughout. Riders are immersed in a mix of wooded areas, open grasslands, and picturesque landscapes. The trail winds through both flat and hilly terrain, offering exciting challenges for riders of all skill levels.
2. Ogden Trail: The Ogden Trail is a 4-mile long loop trail that offers riders a more rigorous and adventurous experience. This trail meanders through dense forests, providing shade on hot summer days. It features several steep inclines, giving riders an exhilarating riding experience. Horseback riders will appreciate the diverse terrain and the opportunity to observe various wildlife species along the way.
3. Staatsburg Loop Trail: The Staatsburg Loop Trail is perfect for riders who appreciate a longer, more leisurely ride. Spanning approximately 6 miles, this trail encompasses an array of beautiful landscapes, including meadows, wetlands, and woodlands. Riders will have the chance to spot wildlife such as deer, foxes, and various bird species. With its picturesque scenery, this trail is ideal for riders who want to immerse themselves in the tranquil beauty of Mills Norrie State Park.
4. Fern Glen Trail: The Fern Glen Trail is a 2-mile long trail that winds through a serene fern-filled glen, creating a peaceful and enchanting atmosphere. This trail offers riders the opportunity to escape into nature's serenity as they meander through a variety of vegetation and trees. The Fern Glen Trail is relatively flat, making it suitable for riders of all experience levels.
5. Scenic Hudson Valley Trail: While not entirely within Mills Norrie State Park, the Scenic Hudson Valley Trail is an excellent addition for riders looking to explore more of the surrounding area. This trail stretches for over 27 miles and follows the Hudson River, offering riders breathtaking views throughout their journey. The trail is well-marked, and riders can choose to explore different sections based on their preferences. The Scenic Hudson Valley Trail is a combination of rugged terrain, picturesque landscapes, and historical sites, making it a must-ride for equestrians.
Mills Norrie State Park's horse trails cater to riders of all levels of experience and provide a truly remarkable equestrian experience. Whether riders seek adventurous terrains, stunning river views, or serene forest pathways, these trails offer a variety of options to explore the park's natural beauty. So saddle up, gather your equine companion, and embark on an unforgettable horseback riding adventure at Mills Norrie State Park.