Mohican State Forest, located in north-central Ohio, is a true haven for nature lovers and outdoor enthusiasts. Spanning over 4,700 acres of scenic woodlands, it offers ample opportunities for recreation, including an extensive network of horse trails. Whether you are an experienced rider or a novice looking for a new adventure, Mohican State Forest has something for everyone. In this article, we will explore some of the best horse trails this destination has to offer.
1. Bridle Trail Loop: This 24-mile loop is one of the most popular trails for horseback riding in Mohican State Forest. It meanders through lush forested areas, crossing creeks and showcasing beautiful wildflowers along the way. The trail is well-maintained and offers varying levels of difficulty, making it suitable for riders of all skill levels. With its abundance of wildlife and breathtaking views, the Bridle Trail Loop promises an unforgettable experience.
2. Lyons Falls Trail: As the name suggests, this trail takes riders through the mesmerizing Lyons Falls. Spanning about 5 miles, it starts at the covered bridge near the Gorge Overlook and continues along the scenic Clear Fork River. Riders will be treated to stunning waterfalls and breathtaking rock formations along the trail. Be prepared for some steep ascents and descents, ensuring an exciting and challenging ride.
3. Hog Hollow Trail: Located in the adjacent Mohican-Memorial State Forest, the Hog Hollow Trail is an approximately 8-mile loop that offers riders a great mix of terrain and scenery. This trail features rolling hills, beautiful meadows, and towering hardwoods, making for a picturesque journey on horseback. The trail can be shared with hikers, so be mindful of other visitors along the way.
4. Mohican Forest Loop: This 15-mile loop trail takes riders through the heart of Mohican State Forest, offering a diverse landscape and a chance to spot wildlife. The trail traverses various ecosystems, including mature oak and hickory forests, wetlands, and the scenic Clear Fork River. With its well-marked paths and tranquil surroundings, the Mohican Forest Loop is a great choice for riders seeking a peaceful and immersive experience.
5. Memorial Forest Bridle Trail: For those looking for a shorter trail option, the Memorial Forest Bridle Trail is an excellent choice. Spanning just under 4 miles, this trail winds through the scenic Memorial Forest section of Mohican State Forest. Riders will enjoy a peaceful ride, surrounded by towering pines and a tranquil atmosphere. While the trail is relatively flat, there are a few gentle slopes to keep riders engaged.
Before hitting the trails, it is important to note that a current negative Coggins test is required for all horses visiting Mohican State Forest. Additionally, riders should be equipped with proper horse gear, including saddles, bridles, and helmets for safety.
Mohican State Forest provides a truly exceptional horseback riding experience, allowing riders to immerse themselves in the natural beauty of Ohio's woodlands. From the challenging Bridle Trail Loop to the serene Memorial Forest Bridle Trail, each trail offers unique sights and experiences. So grab your saddle and explore the best horse trails at Mohican State Forest. Happy riding!