Tar Hollow State Forest, tucked away in the scenic hills of Ohio, is a hidden gem for equestrians. This sprawling forest boasts an extensive network of horse trails, offering riders of all levels a chance to explore its breathtaking beauty. Whether you are a novice rider or an experienced equestrian, Tar Hollow has trails to suit every preference. In this article, we will highlight some of the best horse trails at Tar Hollow State Forest.
1. Ridge Trail: As the name suggests, the Ridge Trail takes riders on a picturesque journey along the forest's ridges. This trail offers stunning views of the surrounding hills and valleys, making it an excellent choice for riders who appreciate natural beauty. The 6-mile loop is easily accessible and moderately challenging, making it suitable for riders of various skill levels.
2. Camp Loop Trail: If you're looking for a shorter trail that allows you to soak in the sights and sounds of the forest, the Camp Loop Trail is perfect. This 2-mile loop trail winds through the heart of the state forest, passing by cozy campsites and a picturesque lake. With its peaceful ambiance and relatively flat terrain, this trail is ideal for beginners or riders who simply want a quiet ride to unwind.
3. Governor's Hiking and Riding Trail: For those seeking a longer and more challenging ride, the Governor's Hiking and Riding Trail is a must-try. This 10-mile trail takes riders through a variety of terrains, including old-growth forests, rocky outcroppings, and lush meadows. The trail is well-marked and maintained, making it suitable for intermediate riders looking for a more adventurous experience.
4. Forest Loop Trail: The Forest Loop Trail is another popular choice among equestrians at Tar Hollow. This 4.5-mile loop takes riders through the heart of the state forest, showcasing its diverse flora and fauna. Along the way, riders may encounter deer, wild turkey, and other wildlife, enhancing the overall experience. The Forest Loop Trail is moderately challenging, with some steep sections that add excitement to the ride.
5. Iron Furnace Trail: If you enjoy history and natural wonders, the Iron Furnace Trail is a must-visit. This 5.5-mile loop trail leads riders to a restored iron furnace from the 1800s, providing glimpses into Ohio's industrial past. As riders explore this trail, they are surrounded by towering trees, tranquil streams, and fascinating geological formations, making it a unique and educational ride.
Before embarking on any trail at Tar Hollow State Forest, it is important to check for trail condition updates and any specific regulations for equestrians. Additionally, riders should ensure their horses are properly trained and equipped for trail riding, including appropriate saddles, bridles, and protective gear.
Tar Hollow State Forest truly offers something for everyone. From leisurely rides to more challenging trails, this forest is a haven for equestrians seeking an escape into nature. So, saddle up, explore the best horse trails at Tar Hollow State Forest, and create memories that will last a lifetime.